Altamont

Musselboro was originally formed in 1884 when Henry Mussel was appointed postmaster, with the town celebrating its 100th in 1984. The name was later changed to Altamont meaning “High Mountain” due to the fact that another Canadian village and post office had been registered with the name Musselboro. 

The area is rich with natural beauty and wildlife, with moose wandering near and even through town at times. 

The local rink was built in 1919 and is one of only a few if not the only natural ice, single sheet curling rinks left in the country. For the third full weekend in January the skating ice is converted to curling ice in order to hold the annual open bonspiel. The facility is used year round and houses other community and private events in the summer. 

Local residents as well as visitors, young and old (ages 18 to 78) gather at the local hotel for good times and camaraderie. It was built in 1927 and is celebrated it’s Eightieth year in 2007. With its theme rooms, it has been described by visitors as “quaint and cozy”. When you visit be sure to leave your mark by advertising on the ceiling. 

The local Community Hall is used for a wide variety of functions including dances, meetings, funerals, bingos, the annual lady’s Christmas supper and much more. The building was originally built in 1961 and was the local school until it closed in 1986 when it was sold to the community and underwent renovations to transform it into the Community Hall. A cairn in front of the building with one of the original school bells on it commemorates the Altamont schools, which served the community from 1902 to 1986. 

The local United and Anglican congregations hold church services on alternating Sundays at 9:00 am as well as joint Christmas eve service that is well attended. The rear of the church houses the local library, which is open Wednesday afternoons from 2:00 to 4:00pm. 

The Trans Canada Trail and a groomed snowmobile trail also pass through the town.

Source: http://www.lornemanitoba.ca/altamont.shtml#nogo